How to Apply for Cash Assistance
Stark County Cash, Food, and/or Medical Application Process:
Applying for cash, food and/or medical assistance (Medicaid) through Stark County is a multi-step process. Please read the following information carefully to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible. Please note it may take up to 30 days to complete your application. We work on cases in the order that they are received and when all verification documents have been received.
Step 1: Submit an Application
You can submit your application in the following ways:
- Call 1 (844) 640-OHIO (6446) An audio signature will be required if applying by phone.
- Online –Click to apply online.
- Print an application
- Fax your signed application to (330)451-8022 or (330) 451-8925
- Deliver in person by dropping off a signed application at our agency located at 221 3rd St SE
- Mail your signed application to 221 3rd St SE, Canton, OH 44702
*Please Note: If you are unable to apply by any of the above methods, you can contact the agency at 330-451-8500 to request an application by US Mail.
Step 2: Gather Verification Documents
As part of the application, you will need to submit a number of verification documents. The specific documents accepted are listed in the application, but in general we will need to verify:
- Who lives in the household
- All household income, and
- Basic information such as identity, Social Security Number(s) and birth verification(s)
Please write your name and case number or social security number on all verification documents provided.
- For a complete list of items that may be required, please click here.
Step 3: The Interview
If you submit your application by fax, drop-off, mail, or online, you will receive a letter in the mail giving you an appointment date and time for you to complete a telephone interview with a caseworker. Telephone interviews are scheduled during morning hours. Telephone interviews will generally be scheduled within two weeks of the submission of your application.*
- IF YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO INTERVIEW BY PHONE, PLEASE ATTEMPT TO PROVIDE YOUR VERIFICATIONS PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED TELEPHONE INTAKE INTERVIEW.
- You will need to call 1 (844) 640-OHIO (6446) to complete your phone interview.
- Interviews can take up to 90 minutes.
- If you are applying for OWF cash assistance you will be required to attend a JOBS Assessment at 221 3rd St SE to go over work requirements for cash assistance prior to cash assistance being approved.
- During the interview, your caseworker will be able to answer any questions you may have about the application process.
*Please Note: Applications for waiver Medicaid and for those in nursing homes are scheduled separately and will not necessarily fall into these timeframes. Certain other Medicaid applications for benefits may be completed without an actual interview. If yours fits the criteria, you will be notified accordingly.
Step 4: Return All Additional Verification Documents
At the end of your interview, your caseworker will give you a checklist of any additional verification documents we need to complete your case. The sooner you return the verification documents, the sooner your case can be completed. Incoming documents are processed in the date order of receipt.
Return those verification documents to us with your name and case number or social security number on ALL documents:
- Fax your documents to (330)451-8022
- Deliver in person by dropping off your documents at our agency located at 221 3rd St SE, Canton
- Mail to 221 3rd St SE, Canton, OH 44702